The Movie Corpus contains 200 million words in 25,000+ films from the 1930s to the present.
You can search the corpus for words and phrases. For example, the phrase I have a bad feeling about this appears 52 times – in these films, among others:
- Smurfs: The Lost Village (2017)
- The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water (2015)
- Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace (1999)
- Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith (2005)
- Star Wars: Episode VI – Return of the Jedi (1983) (twice)
- Lego Star Wars: The Padawan Menace (2011)
You can look at the context:
Leia: This ground sure feels strange. It doesn’t feel like rock.
Han: There’s an awful lot of moisture in here.
Leia: I don’t know. I have a bad feeling about this. Yeah. Watch out! It’s all right. It’s all right. Yeah, that’s what I thought… mynock. Chewie, check the rest of the ship… and make sure there are no more attached… chewing on the power cables.Star Wars: Episode VI – Return of the Jedi (1983)
You can also search using parts of speech. For example, try to get some + noun:
- sleep (174 hits)
- rest (64)
- work (3)
- help (3)
- information (3)
Apart from film cliches like these, the corpus is a guide to spoken English. The word beastly, for instance, was much more common in the 1940s than it is now and more common in British films than American ones.
– Won’t you stay for dinner, sir?
– What have you got?
– Macaroni. We found it in the cellar.
– Beastly stuff.The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1943)