Doing the research
Research using the Internet
University of Toronto
What are sources?
University of Sydney
The A-Z of Social Research
by Robert L. Miller and John D. Brewer
The Foundations of Research
by Jonathan Grix. 2nd edn.
by Jeremy Jolley
Analysing and evaluating information
The Smarter Student, by Kathleen McMillan
Data, information and decisions
Business Student’s handbook, by Sheila Cameron
Preparing for research
Study Skills for Part-Time Students, by Dorothy Bedford and Elizabeth Wilson
Research skills and orientations
Ultimate Study Skills Handbook, by Sarah Moore et al.
Using electronic library resources
Essential Study Skills, by Tom Burns and Sandra Sinfield
UEA Library Search
- Go to the main UEA Library page.
- Choose SEARCH EVERYTHING or BOOKS+.
- Enter your search terms in the search box and click Search.
- You will get a list of results.
- If you want, select the Journal Articles button or the Books button before you do the search.
- Sometimes you will see an item called Start Your Research at the top of the results. This is an introduction to the topic.
- You can narrow the results to Books and ebooks or Articles (on the left of the screen).
- You can drag the Publication Date slider (on the left of the screen) to show only recent items.
- Click on the full-text link, e.g. PDF Full Text.
- There may be a Cite icon or link beside the article text. Click on it for the bibliographical reference.
- For a printed book, check its availability, location and classmark, so that you can find the book on the library shelves. For example:
Available UEA Main Library Floor 2: Main shelves – Normal loan PR5823.Z REN
- There are floor plans by the lift and stairs, and also here.
- For an ebook, click on the View eBook link.
- For a bibliographical reference, click on the Cite button.
Go to scholar.google.co.uk and do a search.
You can limit the results by date (e.g. Since 2017).
Some of the results will have links in a separate column on the right, such as [PDF]… or [HTML]… or UEA access. Click on one of these.
For a reference, click on the double quotes icon at the bottom of each result:
Tip: On your own laptop, go to Settings > Library links to add University of East Anglia.
See also Subjects.
“Background Information to Start Your Research”
Online reference books
Rutgers Research Guides
Find books and journal articles
Web of Science
Search engine for data and statistics
- First Assignment advice November 2019
- Retraction Watch and Zotero July 2019
- Chinese students and English names May 2019
- Economic data online March 2019
- Cambridge Papers in ELT January 2019
Online sources & databases
- Extra e-resources April 2020
- O’Reilly for Higher Education February 2020
- UEA EzProxy links October 2019
- PressReader October 2019
- Telegraph Historical Archive October 2019
- Blackwell Encyclopedia of Sociology October 2019
- Free audio books September 2019
- Dummies and Complete Idiots September 2019
- How to argue September 2019
- Tatoeba September 2019
- UEA Library Search August 2019
- Underground and Independent Comics July 2019
- The Public Domain Review July 2019
- YouTube Audio Library July 2019
- Study skills from Manchester Uni April 2019
- Stack Exchange April 2019
- IELTS Mentor April 2019
- JournalTOCs March 2019
- Free Music Archive March 2019
- Trial of library resources March 2019
- Studying Economics March 2019
- Economic data online March 2019
- Ten online resources February 2019
- physics.org February 2019
- World Atlas of Language Structures February 2019
- Fan fiction February 2019
- News sources online November 2018
- Library Access browser extension August 2018
- Credo Reference June 2018
- Mintel June 2018
- MarketLine June 2018
- Nexis June 2018
- The Vogue Archive June 2018
- A Vision of Britain through Time June 2018