Doing the research
Library Access Tool
Browser extension for accessing UEA Library resources when off-campus
Online survey tool
Research using the Internet
University of Toronto
Online survey tool
Surveys and questionnaires
London Metropolitan University
What are sources?
University of Sydney
The A-Z of Social Research
by Robert L. Miller and John D. Brewer (2003)
Developing a Questionnaire
by Bill Gillham. 2nd edn. (2008)
The Foundations of Research
by Jonathan Grix. 2nd edn. (2010)
A Gentle Guide to Research Methods
by Gordon Rugg and Marian Petre (2006)
by Ian Brace. 3rd edn. (2013)
by Jeremy Jolley (2013)
Data, information and decisions
The Business Student’s Handbook
by Sheila Cameron. 6th edn. (2016)
Research skills and orientations
Ultimate Study Skills Handbook
by Sarah Moore et al. (2010)
Researching and managing information for study
The Study Skills Handbook
by Stella Cottrell. 5th edn. (2019)
Standing on the shoulders of others: doing research
Study Skills for International Postgraduates
by Martin Davies (2011)
Academic journals available to read online, arranged by subject.
"Background Information to Start Your Research"
Online reference books
Rutgers Research Guides
Find books and journal articles
UEA Subject Guides
Library resources for subjects studied at UEA.
Web of Science
A good place to start - but don’t quote it!
- Go to the main UEA Library page.
- Enter your search terms in the search box and click Search.
- You will get a list of results.
- Sometimes you will see an item called Start Your Research at the top of the results. This is an introduction to the topic.
- Books are listed next.
- You can narrow the results to Books or Articles (on the left of the screen).
- You can drag the Publication Date slider (on the left of the screen) to show only recent items.
- Click on the full-text link, e.g. PDF Full Text.
- There may be a Cite icon or link beside the article text. Click on it for the bibliographical reference.
- For a printed book, check its status, location and classmark/call number, so that you can find the book on the library shelves. For example:
Available UEA Main Library Floor 2: Main shelves - Normal loan PR5823.Z REN
- There are floor plans by the lift and stairs.
- For an ebook, click on the View eBook or UEA Access link.
- For a bibliographical reference, click on the ❝Cite button.
Go to scholar.google.co.uk and do a search.
You can limit the results by date (e.g. Since 2017).
Some of the results will have links in a separate column on the right, such as [PDF]… or [HTML]… or UEA access. Click on one of these.
For a reference, click on the double quotes icon at the bottom of each result.
Tip: On your own laptop, go to Settings > Library links to add University of East Anglia.
Background music is "Mist and Clouds" from the album The Scope by Kai Engel, licensed under an Attribution-NonCommercial Licence.