If there is something strange with your wifi, internet access, email, Office, UEA website, Blackboard, etc. etc., check the UEA IT Service Status web page.
- World Cup 2018: ‘Gutted’ Harry Kane says England gave it their all as millions of Three Lions fans suffer World Cup heartbreak once more (The Sun)
- Holly Willoughby and Kate Hudson lead an army of ‘gutted‘ stars on social media after England’s crushing World Cup semi-final loss to Croatia (Daily Mail)
- ‘I’m absolutely gutted’: disappointed England fans speak of World Cup hurt from Russia (iNews)
- Your Favourite Musicians Are Gutted About The England Result (Clash Magazine)
- A gutted fish is a fish whose guts – internal organs – have been removed, so that it can be cooked.
- A gutted house is a house whose interior has been emptied or destroyed, usually by fire.
- If a person is gutted, they are bitterly disappointed. This is British slang. The adjective is normally used in the predicative position (after a verb like be, become, grow, look or seem). However, the first two newspaper headlines are using it attributively (before the noun).
Sketch Engine is an online tool for analysing text corpora in various languages. You can use it to find collocations, compare words, generate word lists, etc.
For example, you can find objects of the verb undergo:
British universities have free access only until the effective date of Brexit, i.e. 29 March 2019.
This week a new film arrives in Indian cinemas: Jatt vs IELTS. This Punjabi comedy tells the story of a small town boy struggling to get a high enough IELTS score to move to Canada.
There is singing and dancing, possibly on IELTS-related themes.
The results for 2017 are summarized here.
For example, the average bands in the Academic test for speakers of these first languages:
Credo Reference is a collection of online reference books. It can be browsed and searched like an encyclopedia.
For example, if you search for global warming, you are shown the topic page on climate change (“the now commonly used term, having replaced “global warming”), extracts from many books, a list of related topics (Climate change, Greenhouse gas, Kyoto Protocol, etc.), images, and a mind map.
It might be a good place to start research for your long essay or project.
HSTalks are video lectures and case studies. UEA has access to the Business & Management Collection.
The lectures are accompanied by slides and some have transcripts.
A big welcome to everyone on the presessional course.
Have a wonderful time.
Don’t work too hard!