The Oxford English Dictionary picks a word each day. They tend to be “hard” or unusual words.
Recent picks include:
- bricoleur – a person who performs a variety of manual jobs; someone who fixes things in an ingenious manner
- grandiloquent – characterized by a high-flown, extravagant, or bombastic style or manner, esp. in language
- Nowheresville – a largely unknown or uninteresting place, esp. a small, rural town
- lactivist – a passionate advocate of (exclusive) breastfeeding as the preferred means to feed a baby
- taikonaut – a Chinese astronaut