Instruction words 3
Instruction words and phrases in essay questions tell you how you should answer the question. For example: Compare and contrast the Gold Standard with the Bretton Woods system.
Click on the instruction words (or phrases) in these essay questions. Questions may have more than one instruction word.
- Using examples, present the evidence that social traits have a genetic basis.
- What is social group maintenance? Critically discuss the main evolutionary processes that contribute to social group maintenance.
- Discuss how genetic variation in humans is shaped by our environment. Give one example from our interactions with disease-causing organisms and the other from our interactions with either culture or the abiotic environment.
- Explain and assess the claim that the utopian reflex has been significantly reduced within contemporary society.
- Illustrate and account for the pessimism and optimism that utopian writers have felt in respect of science.
- Explore the genre’s relationship to violence, especially when this involves a sexual and/or racial component.
- There is additional feedback on global mean temperature, due to water vapour, clouds and other rapid feedbacks in the climate system, which can be estimated from climate models to have a gain in the range 0.55–0.65. Calculate the total gain of all four feedbacks on temperature. Comment on the magnitude of the gain as a possible explanation for the large change in temperature over the period from the LGM to EH.
- Consider how any Romantic writer responds to his or her historical context.