Reading skills, critical reading, etc. from EAP Foundation.
Tips on selecting texts, predicting, skimming, scanning, etc. Monash University.
Reading tips, with worksheets and games, from the BBC.
Activities from British Council LearnEnglish.
Reading Skills for Academic Study
Academic reading tips from UEfAP.
Reading topics from Study Zone
Choose a level then click on Reading.
Ebooks about academic reading
How to Use Your Reading in Your Essays
by Jeanne Godfrey. 2nd edn. (2013)
Reading At University
by Gavin J. Fairbairn and Susan A. Fairbairn (2001)
Critical reading and note taking
The Business Student’s Handbook, by Sheila Cameron
Effective academic reading
The Smarter Student, by Kathleen McMillan
How can I understand my topic?
Getting Ahead as an International Student, by Dave Burnapp
How to research and read academically
Essential Study Skills, by Tom Burns and Sandra Sinfield
Optimise your reading
Effective Study Skills, by Geraldine Price and Pat Maier
Reading strategies and speed reading
Study Skills for Students with Dyslexia, by Sandra Hargreaves
The Smart Study Guide, by Louise Tamblin and Pat Ward
Taking it in and working it out
Ultimate Study Skills Handbook, by Sarah Moore et al.
Collections of free ebooks
A good way to improve your reading skills and vocabulary is to borrow graded readers from the Resource Centre.
These are short books, mostly novels, that have been made easier for English language learners. They are in levels, from Beginner up to Advanced.
- Young Adult eLibrary October 2019
- PressReader October 2019
- Free audio books September 2019
- Lonweb parallel texts August 2019
- Science papers are getting harder to read July 2019
- Sherlock Holmes June 2019
- VocabularySize.com May 2019
- IELTS Mentor April 2019
- opensubtitles.com February 2019
- Norfolk Libraries February 2019
- Fan fiction February 2019
- Principles for teaching reading January 2019
- Extensive reading: how easy is easy? January 2019
- News in Levels January 2019
- Drama Online November 2018
- Guy Fawkes (easier reading exercise) November 2018