The Royal Economic Society holds an annual essay competition for sixth form students. Recent titles have included:
- Does economics have the answer for the global problem of plastics pollution?
- “GDP does not measure the output of the economy any more”. Do you agree, and if so, what improvements would you suggest?
- “Some internet companies have become too big for the good of society and should be broken up”. Do you agree?
- “If you don’t look after your health, you can’t expect free access to healthcare”. Is this wrong? What are the economic arguments?
- Should internet companies like Uber and Airbnb be regulated?
You can read the winning essays online.
(There is no mention of the competition for this year, so perhaps it has been abandoned.)